iWAY 500C Update Version 1.8.0
This update will clear your Recent Find list and restore the Overlay Data to the default settings.
You must have at least 250MB of free disk space on your iWAY™ 500C hard drive.
If you have updated to version 1.8 from version 1.3, you might experience a problem while searching through POIs that says "Category can not be found", or similar text. To correct this issue, please download and install an updated POI database here.
This is NOT an update of the Navteq mapping data. Mapping updates are no longer available.
Mac OS X users will not be able to update their iWAY™ 500C unit from versions 1.3 and 1.4. If your iWAY™ 500C is currently running version 1.3 or 1.4 code, you must upgrade to 1.8 using a Windows PC. After the upgrade to version 1.8, you will then be able to upgrade to future versions using your Mac OS X system.
Mac OS X users may need to reapply the execute permissions to the stand-alone installer after it has finished downloading. To reapply the execute permissions, open a Terminal window, and type the following command (this assumes you downloaded the file to your desktop):
chmod +x desktop/iWAY500C_180.command
Prerequisite: Java must be installed on your computer for the installers to operate. If you do not already have a Java JRE or JDK installed, please visit the Java website.
- Power on your iWAY™ 500C, and wait for the unit to complete startup.
- Connect the iWAY™ 500C to your PC with a USB cable.
- Click on the "Install This Update From the Web" link below.
- Wait for the Java web installer to download and run. Follow the Lowrance update installation instructions. During the installation process, you will be asked to select the drive associated with the iWAY™ 500C. If you can not locate the drive associated with the iWAY™ 500C, please read this FAQ regarding Drive Conflicts. When the installer finishes you will prompted to click Finish to exit.
- Stop/Eject the USB Mass Storage Device associated with the iWAY™ 500C. For Windows, you can do this by opening the "Unplug or Eject Hardware" icon. This icon is located on the Windows toolbar near the clock (typically the very lower right-hand corner of your screen), and appears as a green arrow over the top of a small gray box. Once this is opened, highlight the USB Mass Storage Device and click the "Stop" button. Then in the new window, highlight the "Lowrance iWay 500C USB Device" and click the "OK" button. For Mac and Linux, simply dismount/eject the drive associated with the iWAY™ 500C.
- Disconnect the USB cable from the computer and the iWAY™ 500C.
- Turn your iWAY™ 500C unit off.
- Turn your iWAY™ 500C unit back on. The software update will automatically install. The installation process could take a long time to finish - please do not press buttons or turn off the iWAY™ 500C during the installation process.
If your computer experiences problems with the web installer, try using a stand-alone installer. Note: Do not download this installer to your unit - save it to your computer and run the installer to load the necessary files to the unit.Simply choose the appropriate operating system below:
How to see if your iWAY 500C is already using version 1.8.0 software:
PC Win98/ME/2000/XP/2003/Vista | Mac OS X | Linux
What changes are made in this update?
- Press the MENU button twice on your iWAY™ 500C.
- Select "Device Information".
- The software version for your unit is located under the line that says "iWay 500C".
- If your version is the same version listed above, there is no need to download the software.
- Improved Hard Drive reliability
- Improved USB support for DVD map updates
- Additional enhancements for address searching - now searches the entire state if no address is found within the entered city
- Includes all features from previous updates, including:
- Added support for multiple languages
- Improved performance on finding addresses and intersections
- Added the ability to edit latitude/longitude coordinates for a saved waypoint
- Added a Picture Viewer utility
- Enhanced Mac OS X support
- Adjusted backlighting settings
- Enhanced address searches within municipalities in Canada
- Added route vias. Includes traveling salesman auto sort feature
- Routing is up to 10x faster, uses less memory, routes farther without “Insufficient memory”
- Address searching for some Canadian addresses is improved
- Fixed elevation saving with user waypoints
- Added qwerty, accents keyboards
- Fixed some audio playback bugs, added ability to fast forward and reverse in a song
- Added audio search
- Overlay improvements to allow box removal, auto hide, id3 tag info support
- Modified Turn preview to work in 3D mode
- Modified the Find menu to streamline usage – goes straight to list by default
- GIF support added for skins
- Modified volume control to have a master volume – audio skin changes the master by default
- Added support for multiple find menu, skin changes to go with new POI database
- Modified the Find feature to work smarter to always return some nearest results
- Added feature for skin to toggle navigation mode from Turn-By-Turn to off road
- Added an "advanced" mode skin
- Added support for importing GPX files
- Added support for skin files in XML format
- Voice directions now read exit numbers, state highway names and streets that are named with numbers
- Added 3D map mode – press on the north indicator arrow to cycle through the 3 modes of map orientation – north up, track up and 3D track up
- Address search simplified – more intuitive
- Address search allows for City/County filter
- POI nearest search allows for a name filter
- Added Intersection searching
- Address book system replaces waypoint system - each contact can now contain an Address and Phone number
- Music browsing uses icon view for simplified song selection
- Music browser opens to currently playing directory
- Recent Destinations allows for removal of entries
- Other miscellaneous enhancements
iWAY 500C update software will run on any Java-enabled machine running Windows® 98/ME/2000/XP/2003, Mac OS X, or Linux.